Formerly known as Smaverdi or Aghbulakh, Lusaghbyur was founded in 1830 by Armenians that were forcibly moved from Mush and Basen. It is a small town in the Lori region of Armenia. The town was destroyed during the 1988 earthquake, and many families still live in substandard housing conditions. Agriculture and animal husbandry are the main sources of employment in the village. Wheat, barley and perennial herbs are the main crops. The community produces grain, milk, and meat. The village has 1,295 hectares of pasture and 688 hectares of arable land.